Psidai - One Step Forward, Ten Steps Back: Valentine’s Day
Title: One Step Forward, Ten Steps Back: Valentine’s Day Series: Psidai AU, part 10 of the InuKai sequence. Fandom: Prince of Tennis Rating: G Word Count: 1461 Pairings: Inui/Kaidoh, implied GP and a hint of MomoRyo
Timeline: Valentine's day, of course. Second year of high school.
Summary: There's trouble in paradise, and Inui has none but himself to blame.
One Step Forward, Ten Steps Back: Valentine’s Day
There was something different about this Valentine’s Day morning, Inui noted as he walked down the Seishun High hallways. This particular conclusion may have something to do with the mamushi standing next to his locker, acting particularly like his reptilian namesake especially toward anyone that looked remotely female or gift-bearing that approached the vague vicinity of said locker.
Inui made a mental note to update his personal file on Kaidoh to include possessiveness with regards to relationships.
Nudging his all-of-a-sudden fidgety boyfriend out of the way, Inui proceeded through his pre-practice morning routines waiting for the other to speak. He calculated a 27% chance that Kaidoh actually had something to give him for Valentine’s, a 13% chance that he’ll mutter something half-incoherent about not getting him anything because he wasn’t a girl, and a 60% chance that the shy younger boy would end up not saying nothing in the end.
Therefore, Inui was rather surprised when Kaidoh followed him back to his locker following morning practice and surreptitiously stuffed a small bag into his hands with a tomato-red face.
Looking at the indiscriminate lumps of dark brown therein, Inui grinned wickedly at his kouhai. “Valentine’s chocolates, Kaidoh?”
“Hnn...” Kaidoh muttered affirmatively, staring down at his sneakers as if he’d never seen them before. After a small, painful silence, he peeked up at his senpai and frowned slightly. “You... don’t like them, senpai?”
Inui blinked behind his thick glasses and quickly decided that he probably shouldn’t push the other boy any further unless he wanted physical violence visited upon his body. Well, the chocolates looked normal enough. He broke off a small piece and popped it into his mouth--and immediately wished he hadn’t.
The part of Inui’s brain that wasn’t trying to prevent himself from spitting the morsel out onto his potentially dangerous boyfriend in front of him noted that Kaidoh had apparently mixed up anise pepper for cocoa beans and MSG for sugar, among other things, as well as the unfortunate fact that he had no drinks with him except his latest experimental version of Inui Juice to wash down the taste. But under Kaidoh’s careful scrutiny, there was nothing for for Inui to do but to forcibly swallow the lump of not-quite-chocolate and pretend there was nothing wrong with it.
“Is it...okay?” Kaidoh asked tentatively.
“It’s fine,” Inui rasped out. Then he cleared his throat and immediately looked for a way out. “Kaidoh, the bell is going ring in 35 seconds. You should hurry to your classes before you’re late.” The first years classrooms were a fair distance from where the second years classrooms and lockers were located.
Inui barely waited until the younger boy turned the corner before he made a mad dash toward the water fountain.
“Ne, Inui...” the soft spoke voice from behind him caused Inui’s head to suddenly snap up from the fountain. He turned to see a - from his experience at reading squinty-eyed expressions - very curious Fuji. “...those look like some interesting chocolates,” said the other boy. “Mind if I try one?”
“Aa.” Never one to turn down a chance to get data from Seigaku’s enigmatic tensai, Inui looked on with interest as Fuji popped a piece of the chocolates into his mouth.
“Hm.” Fuji put a finger to his lips in thought as he savored the flavor. “Piquant. I’d endorse it.” He then smiled at Inui’s somewhat twitchy expression. “Saa, Inui, would you mind parting with a few more of those?”
“Here.” Inui was more than happy to pass off the (not-so) sweets that he had no stomach for himself, and shoved the entire bag into Fuji’s hands before hurrying off to class.
In retrospect, he had to admit that that had been an extremely hasty mistake.
The mistake part of his action soon became apparent at the start of afternoon practice, when Inui walked out of the clubhouse to see Fuji standing by the gate to the tennis courts next to a gagging Eiji, holding a certain nearly empty bag of not-chocolates. Or, more to the point, he also saw Fuji talking to Kaidoh, who was not looking happy with their conversation at all. Inui immediately hurried forward, furiously thinking of ways to do damage control before his kouhai received the wrong impression from Fuji (nevermind that Kaidoh would have been upset knowing the actual events anyway). Unfortunately, the bane of Kaidoh’s existence got there first.
“EH!? Mamushi made Fuji-senpai chocolates!?” Momoshiro’s loud voice could be clearly heard across the courts.
“Wha-? No!!” Kaidoh immediately turned a dark shade of purple.
“Ah, you made them for Inui then?” Fuji asked sweetly. Inui had the distinct impression that those words were aimed at him.
“Those were chocolates?” Eiji gurgled in disbelief while he chugged down his water bottle.
Momo, of course, ignored Kaidoh and again drew the wrong conclusion from his senpai-tachi’s words. “You mean Mamushi made chocolates for all of you? Hey! How come I didn’t get any?!”
“Who’d want to give you chocolates, you stupid monkey!” Kaidoh reflexively yelled back at him.
“Well, who’d want your chocolates anyway, you stupid mamushi!” Momo returned hotly. “They probably taste bad anyway!” And with that, he snatched one of the pieces from Fuji’s hands and shoved in his mouth, ostensibly to make Kaidoh even angrier and not quite aware that he was contradicting his own statements.
“Teme--” Kaidoh’s threatening growl suddenly cut off as Momoshiro turned an interesting shade of red and keeled over with a loud thump.
“Eh?! Momo! Momoshiro! Are you all right?” Oishi, the newly invested and ever motherly fukubuchou of the team, suddenly materialized next to the fallen second year. “Inui! Have you been making him drink Inui Juice again?”
“Er... no...” Inui trailed off as Kaidoh suddenly whirled around, just then registering the presence of his senpai. He kept a wary eye on the white-knuckled fists clenched at the younger boy’s sides and caught himself from backing away. “Ah... Kaidoh... I... I can explain...” However, he was not allowed the chance to when Kaidoh abruptly turned again and sulked away onto the courts, his head lowered and his fists still clenched and slightly trembling by his side.
If Inui had any intention of chasing after his kouhai, he was forestalled by the sudden weight of a redheaded acrobat leaping onto his back and smacking him over the head with flailing hands.
“Inui! How COULD you!?” --The person in question cringed at Eiji’s loud voice so close to his ear-- “I could FEEL poor Kaoru-chan’s heart breaking from all the way over here!” --Nevermind that he’d been barely two feet away from the other boy-- “How could you callously give away chocolates that someone gave you with his whole heart?!” --In between the saccharine speech, Inui barely had a moment to wonder at Kikumaru using the word ‘callously’-- “You’d better start grovelling RIGHT NOW if you even want to THINK about getting him to forgive you!”
“Eiji!” Oishi quickly pulled his partner off from Inui’s back. Inui’s relief was short-lived, however, when Oishi then immediately turned to berate him as well.
“Valentine’s chocolates are a serious matter, Inui,” Oishi said in all seriousness. “It’s bad behavior for senpai to mistreat the chocolates that your kouhai made for you. And it’s just as bad for a boyfriend to give away the chocolates your partner made for you. You’re--”
“...mada mada dane,” Momoshiro suddenly warbled out from the ground. A quick look showed that he was still definitely out of it.
“Ah! Momo!” Suddenly reminded of why he arrived in the first place, Oishi grabbed the unconscious boy by one arm and slung it over his shoulder. “Eiji, help me get him to the nurse’s office.”
“Hoi, hoi!” Eiji obediently went for Momoshiro’s other arm, though not before giving Inui one last black look before the Golden Pair left the scene with their comatose charge.
That was when Fuji finished the last morsel of not-chocolate from the bag and finally turned to add another hakugei worth of guilt to the mountain already on Inui’s shoulders. “You know, Inui,” the tensai began with a look of affected musing, “it must have taken some courage for Kaidoh-kun to do something as feminine as to make chocolates for Valentine’s Day. I can almost taste the effort he put into his work. Saa.” With a shrug, Fuji handed the empty bag back to Inui and glided off to the courts himself.
Tezuka was the last to arrive at the courts. He frowned at the pallid statuary imitation that Inui was doing at the gate, but couldn’t care less what the other boy was up to this time.
“Inui! Idling right before practice is unforgivable. Fifty laps around the court.”
~ tbc...? ~
Disclaimer: PoT & its characters belong to Konomi, though at the rate the manga is going, I'd have to wonder if they'd do better with me. :P
AN: Finally, one step closer to finishing the InuKai series for Psidai... I think... maybe. Anyway, also updated my index while I was at it.
Edit: Echizen tried to sneak into this fic. But then I realized it took place when he wasn't in high school yet, so I kicked him back out again. The brat. -_-||