Alternative Destiny series
Title: Drummer Boy (outline) Series: Alternative Destiny, following Desert Bloom Fandom: Stargate SG-1 Genre: Time Travel / AU Rating: PG Summary: Our heroes find out about the price of their success when a young boy comes through the stargate asking them to save another more advanced race.
Stargate Command, Mar. 1997 CE
- Jack comes to base after being recalled - Taken to infirmary window, sees a young boy on the bed - Hammond explains he came through the gate; somehow the iris was overriden - Carter is looking into the system about the gate controls - Janet comes out and reports on the boy: human, no snake, but not healthy, more tests - Jack asks if he's said anything, Kawalsky says the kid asked for him by name and refuses to talk to anyone else - Jack talks to the kid; who names himself Charlie - Charlie explains where he's from and he's here to pass on a warning about the Reetou/Re'tu rebels (explains central authority vs rebels)
- meanwhile, outside the room: - Carter presents her findings of the computer system - Janet thinks Charlie is making things up due to psychological - Daniel disagrees and reminds them of the polymorphic Salish and the phased out Omeyocans
- Back with Charlie, "Mother" gets impatient and fires a warning shot; ends argument - Jack asks him if Earth is in danger - Charlie says no because Earth is a protected planet by the Asgard and self proclaimed enemies of the goa'uld - The rebels are planning to sabotage the evacuation on Tollan; Tollans are viewed as goa'uld collaborators, due to the crystal skull incident - Jack asks why not go directly to the Tollans - the central authority does not want to draw attention to themselves since the Tollan can potentially id them; believes SGC may be able to play middleman and help
- Later, in briefing room - Carter summarizes the info they have on the TER; even though they have the theory/schematics behind it, it'll take a long time to actually implement; however the Tollan might have better luck since they're more advanced - Janet arrives with the medical results on Charlie; he's dying due to being a flash clone; Earth tech is not sufficient to save him - Carter thinks the Tollans might be able to since they're more advanced - Jack proposes Destiny One go visit the Tollans to warn them, and take Charlie with them - Hammond gives it a go
Tollan: - Tollan council scoffs at the Terrans; too busy with evacuation to bother with imaginary kids stuff - "Mother" again demonstrates - Narim is assigned to work with them on the TER; invites Sam to his lab
- Jack and Daniel are talking to the medical people about Charlie - Suddenly, the ground rocks as if an explosion - Carter and Narim run into the room with jury-rigged TER unit - Narim reports that he was testing the device when it picked up a phased bug-like monster which tried to kill them but was saved by Carter. The rebel was killed by "Mother", presumably, but not before "Mother" was severely wounded in the resulting explosion of the lab; dying soon after - Daniel cuts off Jack from saying "I told you so" and tells the council that there should be 4 more to a standard Reetou team. They need to find them quickly before they all get into position to do maximum damage. - The council rails over how much area they have to search; Carter and Narim get into a tech discussion on how to improve the TER and how long it would take - Jack mutters that it'd save a lot of time if they start searching from strategic areas of the city; Daniel remarks to him that with sufficient tech, they could just brute force it and not worry about strategy
- Next Day - Medical report on Charlie says they can't fix him, only extend his life; so he has to stay behind with the Tollans to undergo treatment - They've found 3 more of the rebels; Tollans confident about the last one and ask the Terrans to leave since they're no longer needed - Jack says yes to the disbelief of the team - Narim is at the gate to see Destiny One off. Gives Sam three demo TER guns (exact Goa'uld specs) to help Earth develop the same, since the tech did come from Earth - Jack, who's apparently randomly fiddling with the gun, suddenly sweeps over an area and reveals the last Reetou - It attacks; everyone scatters; Carter shoots the last Reetou and kills it - Narim examines the device that remains of the Reetou and notes the device was a gate-destroyer - Jack rolls his eyes; Daniel gibes him about strategic targets and showing off
Notes: 1. The whole Reetou rebel idea of fighting the Goa'uld through attrition seems to be a really dumb idea for any gate-capable race to come up with, IMO. Unfortunately, I couldn't think of any better target for the rebel Reetou to attack, and still get Terra the TERs, so I went with it. 2. As to the fate of "Charlie"... the series just sort of never mentioned him after the Tok'ra took him. I might bring him back in a future chapter if dramatically appropriate.